As the world has seemingly come to a halt to fight the spread of COVID-19, the Secretariat of Inter-American Committee on Ports (S/CIP) acknowledges that our National Port Authorities, Associate Members and Strategic Partners in the Port and Maritime Industry, are vital in the response to this unprecedented pandemic.
And just like you, the S/CIP will keep moving!
We are closely monitoring developments on a local, regional and global level and continue to follow guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Organization of American States (OAS) General Secretariat as well as national and local officials in Member States, in an effort to provide the most efficient support in line with our mandates and continue our activities as safely and effectively as possible.
With this in mind, we have taken the following measures:
- Complying with the OAS General Secretariat's guidelines, and until further notice, the S/CIP team is fully working remotely and remains available through the usual channels of communication and contact information.
- Non-essential travel has been canceled for the safety of the team, as well as to limit exposure and any potential risk in Member States.
- While the S/CIP, in close consultation with National Port Authorities, postponed all upcoming events and in-person training initiatives until and including the month of June, we will work rigorously to expand our current offerings of virtual courses, online workshops and webinars and deliver targeted training opportunities based on National Port Authorities' needs. Information will be shared accordingly.
- All S/CIP political dialogue and technical assistance will continue to be executed under the new circumstances, but with the same dedication and enthusiasm.
The following Hemispheric events are postponed until further notice:
- 8th Workshop on Port Security Management, April 21-24, Bridgetown, Barbados
- 5th Hemispheric Conference on Sustainable Port Management, May 13-15, Veracruz, Mexico.
- 3rd Hemispheric Seminar on Social Responsibility, Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women, June 24-26, Lima, Peru.
- XX Ibero-American Course on Technology, Operations and Environmental Management in Ports, May 8th to June 4th, Santander, Spain
- 14th Port Maritime Congress, September 30 and October 1, Guatemala City, Guatemala
In these challenging times, the S/CIP is honored to collaborate with a Community dedicated to providing essential services to the societies of the Americas.
Inspired by your devotion, we stand ready to continue collaboration and promote the development of a safe, competitive, sustainable, secure and inclusive port sector!
Wishing you, your families and colleagues, health and strength, receive our best regards,
The S/CIP Team